About Me

My photo
I'm currently teaching myself how to mix. At the moment, I'm mostly concentrating on hard dance (145 BPM+) and Trance (135-145 BPM). I'd like to move into Drum'n'Bass and Hip Hop at some stage but am loving the faster stuff at the moment.

Sunday 24 April 2011

Trying Traktor Pro

Both of my decks can be used as MIDI controllers for digital DJ software known as Traktor (Product Website). There are other products out there, Serato being the other big name in Digital DJ circles.  Instead of playing music from Vinyl, CD's or external HDD's, this software plays directly from a laptop.  The Denon decks are used as hardware controllers - this makes it easier to control the software as your not trying to click on tiny buttons and dials or remember arcane keyboard combinations.  You just use the decks as normal. 

The biggest advantage, for me at least, is waveform display.  Neither of my decks has the capability to display the waveform for playing tracks.  This means I have to know every track I'm mixing inside-out.  I have to know when every breakdown and build-up starts and finishes, when the chorus or verses start and end etc.  Basically, I need to know the complete structure for every track.  As I'm on a hobbyist (and have a dodgy memory), waveform display would really help with this as you can see from the display when a breakdown is coming up.  This can aid with mixes as it makes it easier to determine when to bring in the next track. 

Something else with this software is it has multiple effects units that can be applied to each channel.  Currently, I have no effects unit and am restricted to the three different effects built in to my decks. These are fairly basic effects - High/Mid/Low Filter, Echo and Flanger.  It is also easier to create and edit loops in Traktor and bring in samples.  Of course, with effects less is usually more.  But samples can really make a difference. 

The other main bonus to this software is the ability to record or even broadcast the mix from within the software.  Currently, I have to hook my mixer up to the laptop and run recording software on the laptop.  There is always some tweaking of volume levels whenever I try to record and it's a bit of a pain as I usually hit record and then there's a bit of a pause before I get the first track playing and something similar at the end which I have to edit out. 

The problems I have come across so far is that many of the buttons on the decks don't match functions in the software so I have to resort to using the mouse and keyboard.  The other issue is the HS5500 has a motorised turntable (that can also be used to pitch-bend).  Thus far I have been unable to get pitch-bending working using this.  I know the motorised turntable won't work - that has been stated on Denon's website. 

As yet I am still to actually try mixing with the software - I've just been getting it working and learning the interface.  I will post again when I've had a chance to give it a whirl.

Cheers
Adumbration

1 comment:

  1. After trialling Traktor, I have decided to stay with the CDJ's for now and wait until I have my hands on a shiny new MacBook Pro later this year, early next year.

    ReplyDelete