About Me

My photo
I'm currently teaching myself how to mix. At the moment, I'm mostly concentrating on hard dance (145 BPM+) and Trance (135-145 BPM). I'd like to move into Drum'n'Bass and Hip Hop at some stage but am loving the faster stuff at the moment.

Friday 2 September 2011

I'm Bad At This (Updating blogs, that is)

Well, it's been a while. I was planning on doing at least a monthly mix release but, obviously, that hasn't happened.  Uni and illness just took over.  I hadn't touched the decks in a few months (withdrawal symptoms!) so I thought I'd better get my sorry little arse into gear and do some mixing.
Ended up spending a good 1.5-2 hours mixing house/top 40 at around 127 BPM.  Apart from a sore neck, was actually a pretty good session.  No real stuff ups.  A few bad mixes and track selections but then I wasn't really putting much effort into my track selection - Start at 'A', then 'B', then 'C'... I think you know where this is going.  Obviously at a party or other gig, you'd be more selective with your track selection to keep building the energy in the crowd.  But when you're mixing for yourself, who the hell really cares?  So long as you have fun doing it.

I'm also (slowly) learning how to scratch.  I can usually bust out a good scratch to transition tracks but don't have the confidence to do it live - I only do it through the Cue channel on the headphones.  I'm also experimenting with a little switch on my HS5500 deck which determines if the 'scracth' plays when you're moving the platter forwards and backwards or just forwards only.  Kind of a cheat so you don't need to use the crossfader.  Unless you only want the back scratch, then you've gotta do it the old fashioned way.

Anyway, I'm off for a bite to eat now.



No comments:

Post a Comment