About Me

My photo
I'm currently teaching myself how to mix. At the moment, I'm mostly concentrating on hard dance (145 BPM+) and Trance (135-145 BPM). I'd like to move into Drum'n'Bass and Hip Hop at some stage but am loving the faster stuff at the moment.

Saturday 4 June 2011

Learning New Things

Now that my university semester is over, I have a bit more time to spend on the things I enjoy - like DJ'ing!  I spent a good one and half hours today practicing and trying some new things.  One technique I heard from a DJ years ago who was a warm-up act for Sleek The Elite.  Just recently I've been wondering if I could adapt it to switching between tracks with vastly different BPM's.  I'm not going to much about it now as I'm still working on it and I'm not sure it's really going to work.  If I get it working, I'll post a quick mix between two songs and post it here.

I've also been reading up on scratching techniques.  Now that I can beatmatch reasonably well, I figure it's time to expand my skill set. Scratching will also make it easier to move into Hip Hop, Breakbeat etc as scratching is a common technique in these genres.  Luckily, both of my decks support scratching even though they're both digital media players instead of your more traditional vinyl decks.  Even in house/trance/hardcore scratching can be a useful technique for adding interest in your set or, like hip hop, transitioning between tracks.  As with the first technique, if I can get it, I'll record a mini-set and post it here.

For now, I need to go grab a coffee and do some housework (boring, I know0.

Ciao
Adumbration

No comments:

Post a Comment